Shrimp & Spanish Chorizo with Crusty Baguette
- Small Cast Iron Skillet
- 1/2 Tbs Olive Oil Good quality
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil Good quality
- 4 oz. Spanish Chorizo Cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 Cup Onion Thinly sliced. White Spanish are preferred
- 1/3 Tbs Garlic Chopped. A full tablespoon if you like!
- 2 Tbs Sherry You can sub a slightly sweet white wine
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Freshly ground. Break out that grinder and look like a pro!
- 1/2 Pound Raw Shrimp Peeled and deveined raw shrimp, Shrimp are sold by count – 16/20 is how many you will get per pound. This is a big night, go for the U -10’s, size matters.
- 1 1/2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Parsley Fresh
- This is your chance to use that new cast iron pan, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil until it starts to shimmer. No need to cook on the highest setting, take some time and do it right. Add the chorizo and cook until it gives up some flavor and starts to brown around the edge, about 7 or 8 minutes. The chorizo is going to add great color and aroma to the pan.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté, stirring occasionally you just want them to start to caramelize slightly, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, move a little quicker at this point, you don’t want the garlic to burn
- Add the shrimp and paprika, give it a couple minutes and hit it with the sherry, that will create some steam and slow things down a bit. The shrimp should take about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season with the salt and pepper if necessary. Toss in the chopped parsley and serve
- The bread is the best vehicle to get maximum flavor out of the pan.